Saturday, October 13, 2007

boo


i don't know why i always think i like haunted houses. i do this every year. i get all excited, and try to convince people to come with me to a haunted house, and we wait in line--i'm still excited--we talk about scary things. then the minute we walk through the door/web/curtain/whatever, i completely lose it. and not in a "oh, this is so scary and fun!" kind of way. no. more in a "where is the exit, i'm having an anxiety attack" kind of way.

so yeah, i did this again last night. this time, it was more embarrassing than ever because it was at the lamest, cheesiest haunted house there is. at lagoon (which you may remember from this). there's this thing called Frightmares (for those who aren't familiar---which i wasn't until last night) that lagoon does every October. i guess they just kind of make all their rides spooky? i'm still not totally clear on it. anyway, they also add a few haunted houses. so brooke, jefe, lee and i went, and brooke and i convinced them to wait in line forever for this cheesy haunted house. but as soon as we walked in the door i remembered why i hate haunted houses so much, and i was immediately, legitimately scared.

i don't know what it is about teenage drama geeks and goth nerds dressed up as scary monsters, and jumping out at me around every corner, that i can't handle. i am fully aware that they legally aren't allowed to touch you. i am also aware that they are pre-teens who probably have to be home by eleven, and definitely did their own scary make-up. still, when they are hiding in dark corners and snorting (? i didn't understand that but it still scared me) at me, my heart beats really fast and i feel like i want to cry (but i didn't, don't worry). part of it might stem from the fact that school shootings and crazy family murders are always executed by those same drama geeks and goth nerds. so maybe, deep down, they have the potential and desire to turn it into a real haunted house, and torture everyone. well, luckily lee caught on to the seriousness of my fright fairly quickly. he went from pushing scary guys into me and laughing in the beginning, to completely shielding me from them in the end. and he didn't even make fun of me until much much later in the evening when i had calmed down.

pretty much, the pre-teen fellow dressed in all black, with glow-in-the-dark lipstick, who jumped out at me at one point and stayed right in my face, summed it up best when he loudly whispered into my ear: "i'll be in your nightmares!"...needless to say, he was.

5 comments:

Sommer said...

You have every reason to be scared. I tried to ignore one of the freaky haunted house people before, and he actually hit me! I should have turned him in, it hurt. Those places scare me to death too.

Vanessa said...

yeah, i just had basically the same experience at Kings Island here in ohio. (i think you read my post). I really really hate scary stuff. I did, however, like the picture of frankenstein you included with this post. so did gracie. she looked it and said "nice. should we get one of those?"

lisa said...

sommer i can't believe that! you could have totally sued! but see what i mean? first they're hitting you, then they decide they hate the world and start using real chainsaws to chase you around...

vanessa--i laughed so hard reading your blog because it sounds like the same exact experience. i want lee to read it because he thinks nobody exists who is as whimpy as me. as for the frankenstein, i tried to find the least scary picture i could find. but that kid is still pretty creepy

Shea said...

i love haunted houses, i'm always trying to convince dave to go. i do get a little bit scared, but for some reason i think it's so fun.
sorry you had nightmares!

Amy and Brad said...

Lisa,
I think the 'haunted house phenomenon' you described must be genetic. I have the SAME problem with haunted houses. I like them in theory. In actuality I lose control and get violent in my attempts to save myself when I enter a haunted house. The last time I went in one I pushed Brad into a "grave" to escape the guy chasing us. Brad twisted his ankle pretty badly. He hasn't taken me to a haunted house since.