Thursday, October 18, 2007

i can't. i'm allergic.

as you might remember from previous posts, i have been sick a LOT lately. enough that i was starting to consider quitting my job and trying to collect social security for my disability. the annoying thing was that all of my symptoms sounded like the kind of symptoms a 10 year-old would make up if they wanted to fake sick and stay home from school. Nausea (constantly), bowel issues, headaches, always tired, feeling dizzy, etc.

so anyway, i took a few trips to the doctor, who first told me i was anemic (yeah, i know). then he told me i am allergic to wheat (also referred to as gluten). so at first i was like "oh good, i finally know what's wrong with me!", but then i immediately changed to "oh no! i can never eat bread again in my entire life!".

so the last few days (since the life-changing diagnosis), have been a huge struggle to figure out what is safe to eat. the first day i pretty much lived on Fritos, because my friend told me that corn chips were safe. yum. and i used to eat oatmeal every day for breakfast, but those days are gone.

here's one thing that made me feel better though.



at least being wheat-free doesn't mean i have to be healthy or something.

6 comments:

Sommer said...

Man, I feel your pain. Crazy, because it sounds like it came on suddenly. In high school, I was told I was allergic to corn. Everything has some form of corn in it- corn syrup, corn meal, etc. The only thing in our pantry I could eat was grape nuts. I stayed off corn for a while, but sometimes it is just worth feeliing sick to eat something good! Will your allergy worsen?

Lee said...

I like my women gluten-free.
Always have.

lisa said...

sommer--that's exactly how i feel! everything has wheat/gluten in it. modified food starch? that's wheat. so pretty much anything that tastes good is off limits.

lee--you always know exactly what to say.

Natalie Jane said...

That totally sucks. I can understand just a little since I have a peanut allergy tike. She can't eat anything or anywhere. Peanut in everything. Sorry man.

lisa said...

ooh, peanuts suck too. i heard though that some elementary schools are banning peanuts all together, because so many kids are allergic and could die from exposure. and yeah, wheat is in everything too. i found out today there's wheat in milk duds. sad.

natali said...

peanut oil is in everything. i had a peanut allergy. i outgrew it but i still cant eat straight peanut butter.